Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I was catching my breath in between my laps at the deep side of the pool when I first felt her gaze, looked up and saw her eyeing me. Sitting there looking quite regal with piercing green eyes, it was obvious she'd been studying me. "What's so fascinating about an old guy swimming?" I asked. "What are you looking at?"

The black cat slipped down from the old brick painted white barbecue pit and with a fluid motion approached the edge of the swimming pool. With one last glance to be sure I was not a threat, she crouched and leaned in to the waters edge and began to drink, taking her time as her little cat tongue licked and lapped with a steady rhythm at her chlorinated cocktail.

That can't be good for her I thought as she paused from her activity and stared from her spot at the far side of the pool and then continued to quench her thirst for what seemed like a very, very long time for such a small creature. Satisfied at last she slowly stood, glanced in my direction one last time as if to say, "Thanks for the drink...", stretched as only a cat can do, turned on her little heels and sauntered away and out of sight.

She was black. She was beautiful. She was wild and lived in the hedge. She was not alone. She had four kittens. One black, two gray, and one black and brown mottled colored one. Cute? C'mon, they were kittens! Adorable? Didn't you hear me? They're kittens!

Not everyone thinks they're cute and adorable. Some folks think they're a problem. Some folks set traps. Not the kind that will hurt, but traps none the less. I don't know what I would do if I ever saw one work but I suspect I would not let it hold its little furry captive for long if I did. Oh, sure, they say if they catch them they would call up some organization that picks them up, neuters and then returns them to where they were caught but...I don't know if i really believe them or not...anyway, I think the mama cat must have taught them a thing or two 'cause so far, even tho they sometimes play awfully close to that little pussy penitentiary, so far... they have all evaded capture.


I know, I know, I know, you're gonna' lecture me about how many billions of unwanted cats and dogs are running wild with no one to care for them and the possible danger posed through exposure and disease and...I get it, OK? But...cute...


I guess she moves them around because they are not always here. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of them on the other side of the property or in the park across the way. It's been a few months now and they're grown some but still oh so pretty and playful. I hope they stay healthy, free, and have good, long and productive little cat years...did I mention I haven't noticed any mice around here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
For profile info.,video and music please check out my web site: http//www.aridane.biz email: aridane@aridane.biz